I’m always looking for delicious, easy to prepare food that’s portable and these are dangerously moorish! The best bit is I’ve packed them full of healthy fat and some, dare I say it, superfoods. These are perfect if you need an exercise pick-me-up or something to tide you over to the next meal. They’re also great to take out for children as a snack. They’re naturally sweetened and take about 10 minutes to prepare.
We love goji berries in our house, if you’ve not tried one, they’re more intensely sweet than a raison and I love them on yoghurt for breakfast or even a few on my salad. They’ve been used in Chinese medicine for centuries for high blood pressure, eye health, diabetes but more recently have been shown to increase metabolism and boost energy levels so perfect when you need a hit of energy in the day.
Cacao nibs are the creme de la creme of chocolate, these are cacao beans that have been roasted, separated from the husks and broken into nibs so with very little processing. If you eat them from the bag they almost taste more like a nut than chocolate but add them to naturally sweetened goods and the wonderful chocolate flavour comes through. More places are now selling these wonderful pieces of chocolate, I get mine online but many supermarkets now stock them too. This is chocolate that you have permission to eat with absolutely NO guilt attached because they are full of minerals, fibre and antioxidants and provide a very healthy saturated fat.
- ½ a cup of desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup of pecans
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tablespoon of goji berries
- 1 tablespoon of cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
- 4 dates
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a rice grain consistency
- Pour contents into a parchment lined small cake tin, i used a brownie tin and smooth out so even. You could alternatively roll into balls and place on a plate.
- Refridgerate for at least 1 hour so the coconut oil hardens, then take out of fridge and cut into squares and place back in the fridge or freezer ready for eating.