There is nothing more special than the aroma and mood of candles in your home and with the possibility of fuel shortages and power-cuts, we all want to be prepared with some candles in the house.
However, most shop-bought candles are paraffin-based so contain petroleum which when inhaled contain carcinogenic ingredients
Did you know it’s very simple to make your own candles and you can control what goes into them and change the scent with your favourite essential oils.
Beautiful Natural Candles
- 2 cups of soy wax flakes (see link below)
- Cotton wicks
- Glass jars or jam jars
- Favourite essential oils - I love vanilla, sandalwood and black spruce but Passion and On Guard are 2 doTERRA blends that have a lovely spicy autumnal aroma.
- Melt the wax in a bowl over a saucepan of water, using the steam to melt, also known as a Bain-Marie
- Mix 10-15 drops of your favourite essential oil into the wax
- Dip the wick into the melted wax and secure to the bottom of the jar
- Hold the wick straight in the jar and pour the melted, scented wax around the wick
- Trim the wick so that about a 2cm appears at the top
- You can also add some pretty dried flowers to the top for decoration (examples pictured below)
Soy Wax Candle Flakes:
You can order doTERRA essential oils through